APEEE and EEB1
Members of the APEEE represent the parents within the various boards and committees of the school:
- the nursery/primary and secondary Education Councils (CEs)
- the Safety and Hygiene Committee (CSH)
- the School Advisory Council (SAC)
- the Administrative Board of the school.
Councils of Education
There are three Education Councils (CEs) at EEBI, two in Uccle and one in Berkendael, and each meets approximately four times each year. The Education Councils are whole-school bodies, composed of the following stakeholders for each cycle, nursery/primary and secondary:
- the director or deputy director respectively
- 9-10 representatives of parents, one for each language section and SWALS and the member of APEEE’s Board responsible for pedagogy in the respective cycle; for the primary, one representative of the nursery also participates
- 9-10 representatives of teachers, one for each language section and SWALS, and the staff representative of the respective cycle
- representatives of the administrative personnel or coordination teams
- for the secondary, 9-10 representatives of the students, one for each language section and SWALS and the president or vice president of the Student Committee (CdE).
The task of the Education Councils is to:
- find the best conditions for effective teaching,
- promote positive and stimulating human relations,
- affirm the European character of the school.
The Education Councils may make proposals related to the pedagogical programmes or educational activities to the EEBI Administrative Board, which holds meetings twice each year. The councils may also adopt resolutions to be submitted to the competent authorities of the European Schools.
Parent section representatives consult their sections and gather agenda points in advance of each CE meeting and are also tasked with reporting back in the wake of the meeting. The APEEE representative consults and reports directly to the APEEE Board on measures proposed or discussed at the CE.
Currently, the APEEE's Vice President of Pedagogy represents the APEEE at Uccle's Primary and Secondary CEs. See also the list of current parent section representatives serving on the Uccle nursery/primary and secondary CEs:
The following APEEE delegates serve on Working Groups constituted by the Uccle primary and secondary CEs:
- Prevention of Addictions Working Group - Krisztina SZABÓ
- Green Working Group - Dietrich ROMETSCH
- Mobile Phone Policy Working Group - Noemie BEIGBEDER, Caroline CAMBAS
- Science Festival Working Group - Kathryn MÁTHÉ
- Homework Working Group - Kathryn MÁTHÉ, Monika VELIKONJA
- Vending Machine Working Group - Samantha CHAITKIN
A meeting schedule for the current school year can be found on the page: Meeting Diary. The minutes of CE meetings are no longer available online but may be retrieved on demand through section representatives or from the APEEE secretariat: email@example.com
Safety and Hygiene Committee
EEBI has two Safety and Hygiene Committees (CSH), advisory bodies that treat topics related to health and safety in the school's two sites. These meet approximately three times each year. Each CSH is a whole-school body, composed of the following stakeholders:
- members of the management
- the school’s doctor
- the manager of the transportation services
- the safety officer
- the head educational advisor
- a representative of the guards
- two representatives of the parents
- two representatives of the teachers
The Safety and Hygiene Committee safeguards the school's physical site as well as the health and safety of the students and staff. Ideally the CSH work under the principles laid out in the school's Child Protection Policy. In this vein, the CSH may also promote educational activities on health-related issues, including addiction and nutrition (in conjunction with the school and teachers). The committee:
- aims at ensuring a healthy school environment,
- organizes evacuation exercises (whole site, canteen, bus),
- presents and discusses results of safety audits/inspections.
Currently, the following APEEE Board members serve on the CSH: Nils BEHRNDT (Uccle) and Marek BOBIS (Berkendael).
A meeting schedule for the current school year can be found on the page: Meeting Diary. The minutes of CSH meetings are no longer available online but may be retrieved on demand through the APEEE secretariat: firstname.lastname@example.org
School Advisory Council
The school has a single School Advisory Council (SAC) that brings together all actors of the school’s community: management, teachers, students, coordination teams, administrative and security staff, parents. The SAC convenes 2-3 times each year generally in advance of the school's biannual Administrative Boards.
The SAC treats issues of strategic importance to the school and prepares the agenda of the school’s biannual Administrative Board. Long-standing issues that are not adequately addressed in the CE meetings of CSH meetings may also be raised in the SAC.
The APEEE sends five delegates to each SAC meeting. These may be members of the Bureau or a rotation of Board members, depending on the agenda foreseen.
The following APEEE delegates serve on Working Groups constituted by the EEBI SAC:
- Child Protection Policy Working Group - Sara DAGOSTINI, Pere MOLES PALLEJA
- School Communication Policy Working Group - Thomas SPOORMANS, Simon DERRY
- CE Rules of Procedure Working Group - Pere MOLES PALLEJA, Nils BEHRNDT
A meeting schedule for the current school year can be found on the page: Meeting Diary. The minutes of SAC meetings are no longer available online but may be retrieved on demand through the APEEE secretariat: email@example.com
EEBI Administrative Board
The EEBI Administrative Board is the highest governing body of the school. It is convened at least twice each year by the Secretary-General, who presides over the Board. The following persons form part of the Board with a right to vote :
- the Secretary-General of the European Schools
- a representative of the European Commission
- a representative of Eurocontrol
- the Director of the school
- two representatives of teachers
- two representatives of parents (APEEE) with 2 votes
- a representative of the Administration and Service staff
Participants who may be invited without a right to vote include:
- the Deputy Directors of the School
- a representative of the host country
- two students’ representatives (not for all matters).
The Administrative Board deals with the management and administration of the school, prepares the budget and controls its implementation and undertakes pedagogical planning and risk analysis over the medium and longer term. This body has the responsibility for overseeing all aspects of the day-to-day life in the school and for ensuring the school's efficient functioning.
The EEBI Administrative Board meetings take place in September and January and are attended on behalf of parents by the APEEE's president and Vice President of Administration.
A meeting schedule for the current school year can be found on the page: Meeting Diary. The minutes of EEBI Administrative Board meetings are no longer available online but may be retrieved on demand through the APEEE secretariat: firstname.lastname@example.org